Call now 020 7504 1300 Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm for confidential free advice


Coronavirus (Covid-19) New legislation coming to prevent bankruptcy petitions and protect debtors from paying debts for at least 90 days. Creditors must act now before it’s too late.

Call 0207 504 1300 now

You could be 1 phone call away from receiving payment...

Expert advice for Statutory Demands

We provide assistance for creditors using Formal and Statutory Demands, and Winding-up Petitions.

CALL 020 7504 1300 NOW

Support for creditors

Call 0207 504 1300 now to recover overdue debts and unpaid invoices

If a company or individual (the debtor) owes you (the creditor) an undisputed sum, but has not paid or provided a reasonable explanation for the lack of payment; you should consider insolvency proceedings.

The 1st step in this process would be to serve them with a Statutory Demand. But you must act swiftly as your debtor may be:

  • Paying other creditors instead of you
  • Exposing you to suffer unnecessary loss
  • Using your credit terms as an unsecured, interest-free loan
  • Taking assets into a new company while leaving you and other creditors to perish with the old one
  • Trading while insolvent
  • On the brink of collapse.

Statutory Demand (Stat Demand or Stat D) is a formal document requesting payment of an overdue debt within 21 days. You can serve a Statutory Demand on a company or person for any debt that is:

  • Undisputed
  • Less than 6 years old
  • £750 or more (for a company)
  • £5,000 or more (for an individual).

Ask a question, we will call you back.

CALL 020 7504 1300 NOW

Formal Demands

Before commencing insolvency proceedings to wind up a limited company, you must 1st serve the debtor a Statutory Demand. Serving a Winding-up Petition after presenting a Statutory Demand will strengthen your case. But it isn't always necessary. We frequently recommend the issuing of a Formal Demand, which:

  • Outlines the amount and circumstances of the debt
  • Threatens the serving of a winding-up petition unless payment is made within 14, 7 or 5 days.


Why Should They Pay?

Failure to respond to either a Formal Demand or a Statutory Demand could result in the winding up of a limited company or bankruptcy for an individual.


Winding-up Petition

You are free to serve a winding-up petition on a limited company 21 days after presenting your Statutory Demand. But only if:

  • The debt remains unpaid
  • No arrangement has been made to pay
  • The Statutory Demand has neither been withdrawn nor set aside.

A debtor company that ignores a winding up petition may have its bank account(s) frozen.


I&L helps creditors recover outstanding debts and invoices using powerful instruments such as Formal Demands, Statutory Demands, and Winding-up Petitions when appropriate in the instance of insolvent companies. Call 020 7504 1300 now for free and confidential advice...

Scroll To Top